Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dandelion Greens and Apple-Rhubarb Pie

Here are some pictures of fresh-picked dandelion greens and dandelion greens cooked according to the recipe I posted yesterday:


They might not look pretty, but they are delicious:


And here are some pictures of my first real attempt at pie-baking. I count this as "first" even though Silver and I have baked pumpkin pies in the past because this one was topped with a lattice crust. Also, Silver almost always makes the pie crust, but this time he was at work:

It, too, was delicious. We had some for dessert last night and some this morning -- after we had a nominal breakfast of a bagel. I got the recipe from RecipeZaar (I used Honeycrisp apples instead of the recommended Granny Smith), but the crust recipe is the basic one described in the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion.

It made me really proud and happy to see how much Silver loved it -- I think he was kind of bowled over. It makes me think I might actually be pretty good at this baking thing, which is good as I enjoy it, too.

I don't have much interest in going to school for it, though, after seeing the description of it on Black Widow Bakery -- it just seems like such a huge portion of it is dedicated to making food look pretty, which I have zero interest in if it's not going to make the food taste any better. I'm not talking about things like lattice crusts, which are cute and fast and serve a practical purpose (no fruit-juice explosion in the oven), but things like sugar sculptures. When you're done doing all that work, it still just tastes like sugar -- but now you might have some neat-o blisters to show off.

Not interested.

2 comments:

seppie said...

Tag! I tagged you on my blog!
http://awfulbrothers.blogspot.com/2008/06/better-late-than-never.html

Masasa said...

The dandelions look pretty to ME!