The Tomhannock Reservoir, off of Route 7 in New York state. Pretty enough, but nothing compared to some of the other things we saw on the trip:
These are from a town in Pennsylvania called North East, just over the border. We stopped at the Welcome Center to eat, and right there was a vineyard (apparently there are a couple of vineyards around that Great Lakes Ohio-Pennsylvania-New York area), and then just past that, Lake Erie.




This was taken in Kingsville, Ohio. What I liked about it was that the sky and the moon were so serene and beautiful, and then in the foreground there's the old Kingsville Motel. With a cheesy crown on the sign:
Indiana!
Our little bitty Budget truck next to these huge mammoths:

This is the road out to Goshen, Indiana, taken mere seconds before the camera died:
These are the only pictures we have from Iowa -- not great, and believe me, Iowa is so much more beautiful than it looks here. These were taken at a little rest stop just east of Council Bluffs:






The first little stretch of Nebraska -- which I'm almost positive this is -- was extremely deceptive. It only goes downhill from here:
I love this picture because I think it pretty accurately communicates how Silver and I felt about driving through Nebraska for hours and hours. It looks almost like a shot from an Alfred Hitchcock movie:



I think these pictures are of the Platte River, also in Nebraska:
More pictures from the drive through Nebraska:





Some pictures from a little stopover in Sedgwick, Colorado:


Some pictures from nearby the Pawnee National Grasslands:






















Mom requested that on our road trip we jump in front of the camera whenever we get out of the car, so there are a lot of pictures that are just that -- but also a lot of pictures of scenery. Not as many as I'd like, unfortunately, of Indiana and Iowa -- the two prettiest states we drove through -- but a few nonetheless.
Even the "ugly" places we drove through, as long as they were rural, were still very beautiful compared to the drives I've done through New York and New England. I-91, particularly in Connecticut, isn't exactly a scenic byway.
We took three days coming out here - Brattleboro to Westlake, Ohio (just outside of Cleveland), Westlake to Adair, Iowa (between Council Bluffs and Des Moines), and Adair, finally, to Fort Collins.







2 comments:
Thanks for sharing your trip through these photos. They were great.
G. and I have done a lot of driving, and G. has definitely done the drive from the east to CO, so I am sure she will have a special appreciation for the journey...I'll share this with her. I know some of those states were hard to get through ;-), but amazingly, you still came out with awesome photos!
I really really really love road trip photo chronicles.
xxo
Post a Comment