Friday, November 14, 2008

Pumpkin Butter


I should preface this recipe by saying that not only is it my first attempt at pumpkin butter, but I had never tried pumpkin butter before making this recipe.  So I'm not really sure what it's supposed to taste like.  But I love apple butter - my Mamaw Sarah always makes a few batches every year - and I figured this would probably be just as good, and easier.  And it was very, very easy, and an extremely flexible recipe.  

Ingredients
3 c. pumpkin (fresh or canned)
few generous splashes tangerine juice (probably about 1/4-1/2 c.)
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
dash allspice
pinch of salt or two

Directions

Put all ingredients together in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Stir frequently to keep it from sticking to the bottom.  Taste it frequently, adding more liquid if desired.  The recipe I found online suggested cooking it for at least fifteen minutes, but I know I didn't wait that long.  Let your instinct and taste guide you -- it is, after all, just basically spiced pumpkin mash.  Enjoy on toast, waffles, or whatever else you put sweet spreads on.


2 comments:

sf said...

Two thumbs up for popularity at Lisa's birthday brunch. And from homegrown pumpkins, right?

chickadeescout said...

Yes indeed!