Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Knitting Project

I've been wanting to knit something for Ezra for a very, very long time now, and just unearthed the Kyarns.com gift card that my mom got me (last Christmas?).  I'm thinking of getting two or three skeins of these types:


Both, I think, are actually organic -- or at least they both are "grown and harvested without the use of agri-chemicals" -- but the first kind aren't dyed and the second kind are.  

I haven't picked colors yet, but the bigger question is what to knit.  Ezra's due date is 5.15, so anything too heavy she won't need until much later on (which isn't really a bad thing).  I've got a light spring-fall type sweater that's almost done, and my mamaw gave me a bunting for her already (I think it was mine when I was a baby?), so a blanket or something would be a little redundant. 

 Any suggestions?  I'd like to make something that will last and also something she'll be able to use for more than a month before she grows out of it.

4 comments:

Alex A. said...

Hat? ... Stretchy hat?

Toy? I googled slightly and found this: http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/knit-gallery.html#dna

ADORABLE.

Although, I have to say, I think the giant mushroom is really cute, too. You could make a garden of baby-sized vegetables. I think that would be a very productive use of your time.

(omg baby things)

Masasa said...

In addition to the above, my best suggestion might just be a "lovey."

My kids are not handmade, so yours would be better, but basically it is a lion head (for M.) and a bear head (for K.), and arms, and then a blankie that th arms are wrapped around. Sounds weird, but looks pretty cute. I'll try to google it.

My kids didn't really take much active interest in their lovies until much later, but we tucked the lovies in with them while we snuggled from day one, and M. loves hearing how he has slept with his lovey all his life. Kids love stuff like that!

We have two of M's in case one gets lost (the replacement we have stored away)...unfortunately, we do not have a second one for K. because apparently they stopped making them shortly after we bought the first. We still keep our eyes open for one though.

The kids call them their "blankie babies."

chickadeescout said...

Ooh, I really love the idea of knitted veggie toys. That I might do with yarn that I have on hand, though, since it would seem to work best with lots of different colors... I don't know about the veggie-and-fruit with FACES, though. The banana with the removable peel is neat and interactive, but I think since it had a face I was all THE BANANA IS NAKED.

Masasa, I think I've seen what you're talking about -- at least a version of it. I've never heard them called "loveys" (actually, I don't think I've ever heard a name for them at all), but I'll keep an eye out for some patterns...

Alex A. said...

Yeah, I'm not into the faces, either.