Tuesday, October 6, 2009
ACV Monster
A couple of months ago I bought a huge jug of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, to decant into my smaller glass jar of ACV as it ran out. Last time I refilled it -- about, oh, three weeks ago -- a strange gelatinous mass came tumbling out into the funnel. Now, Bragg's says something mysterious on the label about "WITH THE MOTHER." The ACV seems to smell and taste normal, and the jug says nothing about refrigeration (the glass jar, from a different company, says to refrigerate, but I never did because vinegar seems to be more or less its own preservative). My question is, is this gelatinous thing "THE MOTHER"? Is it safe?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
The mother is not to be drank, and you probably killed it by pouring it through a funnel (although I'm not entirely sure). The mother that's in that cider is much like the mother that's in real kombucha, and it produces some stuff that folks generally think is beneficial to your health. So yes, the mother is safe, but no, don't drink it. And you should probably refrigerate it as well, unless you plan on scarfing it down very quickly.
Aw shucks the mother is not to be drank? Seems like the opposite of what a mother is for, LOL!
it is alive, you can drink it, and i'm sure you didn't kill it by pouring it through the funnel. if you think it's gross (it reminds me of snot) you can pull it out and compost it. i just shake my ACV up really well and it tends to distribute the mother more evenly, in smaller more palatable pieces.
I was going to say--I've read in numerous accounts that it's beneficial to drink cider vinegar mother--and in fact, if you've got unfiltered cider vinegar, it's unavoidable, as small pieces of mother are pretty much floating all through it anyway--and this is where the health benefits of cider vinegar (really only present in significant quantities in unfiltered, unpasteurized) reside. So, yeah. Enjoy it!
Post a Comment