Saturday, February 27, 2010

Becoming Jane's Dress

While I didn't love Becoming Jane -- I didn't find the romance so convincing, at least in the first half (Lefroy was a deplorable rogue, the very kind of character that Austen reviles in her novels, and then quite suddenly and inexplicably the tender and gallant guy we're supposed to want Jane to marry) -- but I loved the aesthetics. I thought Hathaway did a respectable job as Austen, even if some were riled by the idea of an American in the role of the famous British author.

But the thing I keep returning to over and over after the movie, is this one dress she wears. Not because it was necessarily the prettiest thing she wore, but because I saw it and, like the others thought, That's so pretty! and then thought I might actually be able to make that!

Here are the only pictures of it I was able to scrounge up on the internets:



Not the most clear pictures, certainly, but it gives you an idea. I'm going to do some sketches and see if Silver can help me make up a pattern -- it seems like an awfully forgiving dress, too, so it would be a good first project for me. It's essentially just a really long, straight (or slightly A-line) sundress with a little belt to give it some shape. I'm imagining it maybe in a kind of jersey fabric... hmm...

1 comment:

sf said...

It's pretty - looks like the belt is a little above natural waistline - not QUITE empire though...