Tuesday, February 16, 2010

words

While Ezra isn't saying much in the way of recognizable words, she is understanding a lot. Actually, I should say that at least what we know she understands is a lot -- I'm sure she understands a lot more. Some examples:

No (this has been true for a while)
Don't touch
Let go
Let mama have it
Come to mama/papa

And, of course, she's known her own name for quite a while now. All those phrases she understands are less cute than they are functional -- we're working a lot on "come," since once she can walk that'll be more important.

BUT the really cute thing is, she's started to understand intonation. Her babbling now has the recognizable cadence of sentences, but more adorably, she recognizes what a question sounds like. How we know: she's started saying "yeah!" after every question we ask her. We spend a lot of time like this:

"Is that the baby?"
"Yeah!"
"Are you such a happy girl?"
"Yeah!"
"Do you want some water?"
"Yeah!"
"Where's papa?"
"Yeah!"

I am so, so excited for her to start speaking with us on a broader basis :)

She's also started making some sounds that approximate "mama" (sometimes more like "ma" or "mem"), and saying "dehdeh," which I'm convinced is for Silver, even though we call him "papa" to her, I think the 'p' sound might be a little hard for her at the moment.

2 comments:

Masasa said...

I am pretty sure that when she learns to walk, not knowing the meaning of the word "come" and a non-practice of its expected response will NOT be the cause of trouble, even if you weren't "working" on this ;-).

By the way, you might find the Montessori method fitting with your hopes for things like early childhood obediance, etc. in that they'd give you tools to give Ezra to help her be at home in the world in some orderly manner. We started Montessori with M at 13 months, and with K even earlier because we were already doing "Montessori in the home" with M. It's been really great, and had we not ended up with a surprise two under two when M turned 17 months we probably would have been more consistent in its implementation, which would have been even better.

A search of this forum might be helpful, if you were interested: http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=284. It was there that I first experimented with and learned about my idea of "Montessori in the home" for young kids, though I later hit the books.

chickadeescout said...

Thanks for the advice -- I'll definitely read up on that. I like a lot of Montessori ideas (little tools for little hands, the idea of a specified "play area" so they stay more on one game at a time and keep things a little contained), but I don't know much about Montessori's application with very small kids.

Thanks!