Any suggestions? I sort of wish B&N sold clothes, but it seems we're out of luck on that count.
Friday, January 2, 2009
So, what with the Christmas season and all, Silver and I have accrued a huge amount in Barnes & Noble gift cards. We each have a list of books we've been wanting for a while, but I was also trying to think of something besides books and movies we could use it on. Baby toys were an appealing possibility, but I think it's probably not the best idea to start buying toys anyway, since it's been my experience that kids today tend to end up with more toys than they know what to do with. Magazine subscriptions are something I was thinking about, but most of the things I would want to subscribe to -- Real Simple, National Geographic, that sort of thing -- we could borrow from Sarah and Colin when they're done with them. (We actually have a National Geographic subscription we put on hold for that very reason).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







3 comments:
Magazines I hella really super love: The Atlantic, The Economist, and Cooks Illustrated.
But B&N has furniture (and other home-y stuff) that you might like for your new place?
Definitely consider a subscription to Mothering Magazine, a truly more thoughtful parenting magazine.
I also really enjoy Hip Mama (which is more about womanhood as mothers than about motherhood per se), though you may find it far too "left" for your taste.
Some fun board books for babies include: Dancing with Degas by Julie Merberg and Suzanne Bober (which we have and the kids enjoy), and maybe Make Van Gogh's Bed by Julie Appel, Amy Guglielmo (which I've never seen in person but which looks good). There is also a Brush Mona Lisa's Hair board book, Feed Matise's Fish Board Book, and a Pop Warhol's Top board book in that Appel and Guglielmo series. And a lot of these are in the B & N 50% off sale right now. Sure, most babies have too many toys and I say don't buy any right now. *But* in my opinion, no child can have too many books ;)!
One of my favorite parenting books that I definitely recommend having on hand (though you may not use it for a while) is Becoming the Parent You Want To Be by Janis Keyser and Laura Davis.
Some people swear up and down by the Dr. Sears Baby Book for parenthood advice in the first year. I browsed it a couple times at the bookstore to find some very specific information, but never got into it enough to buy it.
Beyond that, my friend Sara always has great reading suggestions. Here is her 2009 list: http://learningumbrella.homeschooljournal.net/2008/12/28/my-2009-reading-list/ and here is her list from the 8 x 8 in 08 challenge: http://learningumbrella.homeschooljournal.net/8x8-in-2008/ (she did reviews for each of the books as she read them, I believe, in her blog).
What about a sketchbook? And I agree that getting some things for the new apartment from the "home and gifts" department might be good.
I know you said you weren't looking for books but take a look at Rafael Sabatini sometime, anyway. I will it of you.
Post a Comment